TikTok’s algorithm surfaces new accounts. This has led some entrepreneurs to take a “wide-base” or “horizontal” method to short-form video promotion.
With this tactic, a enterprise owns a number of TikTok accounts. Every publishes the identical or comparable movies. The tactic goals to earn extra whole views than if the corporate had shared these short-form movies solely on a single account.
The wide-base account technique seems commonest with content material creators.
For instance, take into account Travis and Jason Kelce’s “New Heights” podcast, one of the vital well-liked U.S. sports-related exhibits.
The present’s major TikTok account, @newheightshow, has 3.9 million followers.
In response to a person aware of the podcast, a number of different accounts publish the present’s content material underneath totally different names, akin to @newheightsfootball, @newheightsrewind, and @newheightsclips.
Views earlier than Followers
The wide-base technique goals to get extra views and earn extra followers. The method is noteworthy as a result of the first metric is what number of occasions people watch the content material. The follower depend — usually the lead KPI for social media advertising and marketing — is secondary.
A hypothetical instance may assist. Think about you’re the marketer at Charge Brothers, a model that makes cocktail bitters and egg replacers for drinks such because the traditional whiskey bitter.
Your content material advertising and marketing efforts embrace a collection of cocktail recipe movies.
The recipe movies are comparatively lengthy and printed on X and YouTube. And every episode is sliced up into quick clips. With the wide-base technique, the model would launch these clips underneath a number of distinctive, albeit small, accounts.
TikTok’s algorithm would floor all of the movies to related customers, increasing or widening the influence. Charge Brother’s major account might obtain essentially the most views, however the wide-base accounts would contribute, too.
If the goal is to promote extra cocktail bitters and egg replacers, extra video views may result in extra clients visiting the model’s on-line store. Mission achieved.
Secondarily, these short-form clips introduce viewers to the long-form recipe present and the first Charge Brothers account.
Publishing similar clips on a number of accounts is probably going efficient, however a bit selection doesn’t harm both. Right here is an instance.
- Main account. Named after the enterprise, this account publishes all the clips and will have its deal with (title) proven on the clips.
- “Clips” account. This one has a deal with akin to “FeeBrothersClips.” It republishes nearly all the things from the first account.
- “Followers” account. This one additionally republishes almost all the things from the first account.
- “Better of” account. Named with “greatest” or “bestof” within the deal with, it publishes top-performing and high-priority clips.
- “Errors” account. This account shares clips that includes bloopers or behind-the-scenes motion from the first present. These clips could also be distinctive, sharing the message and implied product promotion.
Comply with an identical sample to create a large base of small accounts.
Entrepreneurs ought to monitor short-form views throughout all accounts. Follower depend, the secondary KPI, is measured just for the first account.
To attach views to gross sales, embrace a coupon code within the clips or in any other case monitor when clips correspond to will increase in site visitors and transactions.
For greatest wide-based outcomes:
- Use the correct format. Even when your major movies are in an ordinary horizontal format, make vertical clips for TikTok, Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts, Snapchat, and X movies.
- Have a transparent hook to seize consideration. This is likely to be a picture, the video clip’s title, or a thumbnail.
- Preserve it quick. Seasoned entrepreneurs usually suggest 11-to-17 seconds for TikTok, about 10 seconds for Instagram Reels, and as much as a minute for YouTube Shorts, X, and Snapchat.
- Submit persistently. Quick-form video platforms usually have a goal cadence. WordStream, an company, recommends publishing one to 4 occasions day by day for every TikTok account.
- Present merchandise in use. Bear in mind the hypothetical Charge Brothers instance. A protracted-form cocktail recipe exhibits the corporate’s bitters in use. Do the identical whether or not you promote garments or energy instruments.
- Use humor. A brief-form video is usually greatest when it’s humorous and informative. Don’t be afraid to make viewers snort.
This wide-base video clip technique is supposed to supply comparatively extra short-form video views than a enterprise can generate from a single account. It seems to work greatest on TikTok, though it’s value testing on any social media community.